Australia introduced a simplified student visa framework (SSVF) on July 1st 2016. Under the SSVF all visa applications by international students and education agents are processed online by creating an account.
Student visa (Subclass 500)
All of the following types of study are included on this visa. For more information about student visas, visit Department of Home Affairs
- independent ELICOS (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students)
- schools (primary and secondary)
- secondary school exchange program
- vocational education and training (VET)
- vocational education and training (VET)
- postgraduate research
- non-award courses
- International students sponsored by the Department of Foreign Affairs or Defence.
The student visa you need depends on your chosen course of study. As a guide, the typical key requirements you will need to meet are:
- Issued an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) certificate.
- Meet the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement. Read more about this on the Department of Home Affairs website.
- Sufficient funds for airfares, course fees and living costs.
- English language proficiency.
- Meet health and character requirements.
- Acceptable Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).
Department of Home Affairs website provides detailed information on student visas.
Overseas Student Health Cover
Australia has a special system of health cover for international students called Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). It will help you pay for medical or hospital care you may need while you’re studying in Australia; it will also contribute towards the cost of most prescription medicines and an ambulance in an emergency. When studying in Australia, you will need OSHC for yourself, and any family travelling with you, before you arrive. It is a requirement of your student visa that you maintain OSHC for the duration of your time on a student visa in Australia.
Essential documents required for Australian study visa for Indian Students are:
- A valid passport
- Your completely filled Australian student visa application form (157A)
- 4 recent passport-sized photographs
- Statement of purpose (SOP)
- English proficiency requirement: IELTS, TOEFL iBT, Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic, and Cambridge Advanced English (CAE) test score are valid. It depends on the University, which test they consider as the English proficiency test as the essential criteria for the admission and the minimum score essential depends on the course. Mostly, universities consider IELTS.
- Receipt of the Application fees paid
- Certificate of Enrolment (CoE) [Application/admission confirmation letter] from the applied university/institution.
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC): All the international students must have covered health insurance before applying for a Australian study visa. The country generally accepts OSHC, which can either be obtained from the applied university or else you can directly procure it from the 5 OSHC providers approved by the Australian immigration department (BUPA Australia, Medibank Private, Australian Health Management, Allianz Global Assistance and nib OSHC). The cost of the OSHC does vary depending on the provider and it also depends on the duration of the cover you apply for.
- Police clearance certificate/character verification certificate, showing no criminal records. Some students may be even asked to complete a Character Statutory Declaration Form.
- All your academic documents and work experience certificate
- Proof of financial ability to meet the cost of living (tuition fees, travel, living expenses and your return air ticket) which is around AU$19,830 (~US$15,170) for a year. If your dependents (spouse and children) also accompany you, then you need to show the proof of covering their cost of living too, for this you must have at least AU$60,000 (~US$45,850) a year.
- Health/Medical Certificate: International student must submit medical and/or radiological check-up records from a doctor who is approved by the Australian immigration department.
- Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement: It was introduced in November 2011 to state the actual intention of the international student to stay in Australia for their studies and some students have to attend an interview at the nearest Australian embassy. The managerial team at the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) consider the factors like applicant’s history of immigration, the value of the course the applicant has applied for, considering their future career objective, the potential circumstances for the applicant in Australia and any other relevant matters.
If you have managed all the necessary document according to the Australian student visa requirements, then apply with the online ‘ImmiAccount’ application system. You are supposed to apply for the Visa at least 12 weeks before your institution’s orientation date.
POST-STUDY WORK VISA IN AUSTRALIA
The international student can apply for Post-study work visa in Australia after completing the higher studies [Masters (MS, MBA etc.), Bachelors or Doctoral (Ph.D.) degree].
Eligibility for Post-study work rights:
- The university must be accredited by CRICOS (Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Course for Overseas Students).
- The student has a visa and must be above 18 years and below 50 years of age and at least 2-years of academic study in Australia on a valid student visa.
- Diploma courses are NOT eligible for the post study work visa.
Post study work rights duration:
- Eligible International student who graduates with a Bachelors/Masters degree gets a 2-year post study work permit.
- Eligible International student who graduates with a Masters by Research degree gets a 3-year post study work permit.
- Eligible International student who graduates with a Doctoral degree (or Ph.D.) gets a 4-year post study work permit.
WHAT IF YOUR STUDY DURATION IS LESS THAN 2 YEARS?
There is the special subclass of visa called Temporary Graduate (Subclass 485), international students are eligible for this visa if the duration, of course, is less than 2 years or the qualification is below that of a bachelor degree (diploma/trade-level certificate).
The essential requirements/work rights included are:
- Students can work in Australia for a period of 18 months and up to 4 years, depending on their qualification.
- It does not confine the number of hours of work.
- The applicant must have a valid student visa in the last 6 months and should fulfill all the requirements like Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), English proficiency and study in Australia.
- The qualification of the applicant must be in the field which is in demand since the country has a dearth of skilled employees in various fields listed on the Skilled Occupation like teachers, engineer, doctors, and scientists. To qualify for this visa the applicant has to qualify the skill assessment in an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List.
Visa application requirements are subject to change with time, to get latest updates and for further information on work rights in Australia, you can visit the Australian Government - Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.
Visa decision in Australia is intimated to the applicant electronically via email, once a decision has been made by the visa authorities. If approved the department will send a Notification of Grant letter to your nominated postal or email address. It is recommended that you print this letter and keep it with you when you travel to and from Australia. This letter will contain:
- Your Visa Grant Number
- Validity date of your visa
- Visa conditions.
If not approved the department will send you a notification letter advising you of:
- Reasons for the refusal
- Your review rights
- Time limit for lodging an appeal.
For more information on Immigration and Visas,
Please visit: http://www.immi.gov.au/Pages/Welcome.aspx