CANADA VISA REQUIREMENTS
International students are required to obtain a Study Permit before going to Canada. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is making great strides in promoting Canada as a destination of choice for international students seeking a quality education by finding efficient ways to process applications. To support the growth in study permit applications, IRCC announces the Student Direct Stream (SDS), which is available to students applying for a study permit from India, Vietnam, China and the Philippines. Students from these countries who demonstrate upfront that they have the financial resources and language skills to succeed academically in Canada will benefit from faster processing times.
To qualify for SDS, applicants need to meet additional requirements, in particular language levels that are stricter than regular study permit requirements. Students who do not have all of the additional information required for SDS can apply through the regular study permit application process, either online or at a Visa Application Centre. We strongly recommend that students submit their application at least three months ahead of proposed date of travel.
To qualify for SDS, student must:
- Have been accepted by an post-secondary Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada;
- Demonstrate the required English language ability;
- Provide evidence of sufficient financial support for the duration of his studies;
- Provide evidence medical examination before submitting their application
NOTE: To benefit from the facilitative qualities of the SDS program, it is strongly recommended that applicants apply on-line.
DOCUMENTS CHECKLIST FOR SDS (STUDENT DIRECT STREAM):
- IMM 5976 E should be used in conjunction with IMM5483 Document Checklist for a Study Permit.
- Completed “Application for a Study Permit” (IMM 1294). If spouse or common-law partner and/or children will accompany student, they need to complete their own application using the appropriate application form.
- Family Information Form [IMM 5707], fully completed, dated and signed. Student must answer every question. If not applicable, write Not Applicable(N/A)
- Student’s valid passport. There must be one completely blank page other than the last page available in the passport. If possible, student’s passport should be valid for the duration of proposed study.
- Two (2) photos. All photos must meet the requirements of the Photo specifications appendix. On the back of one photo in each set, write the name and date of birth of the person appearing in the photo.
- The correct processing fee in the acceptable format (refer to the Fee schedule. Fee is non-refundable
- If someone has assisted the student in completing this application: “Use of representative form ” (IMM5476)
- Custodianship declaration from students parent(s) and from the custodian in Canada if student is under 18 years of age.
- A copy of a valid Letter of Acceptance from the Admissions/Registrar’s Office of one of the Designated Learning Institutions in Canada.
- Submit evidence of English or French language abilities:
- A valid IELTS test result (issued within the last two years) showing an overall band of 6.0 with no individual band lower than 6.0 OR
- TEF test (issued within the last two years) result with a minimum score that is at least equivalent to NCLC 7 for each ability (at least 310 for expression orale, 249 for compréhension de l’oral, 207 for compréhension de l’écrit, and 310 for expression écrite) OR
- Canadian High School diploma from a recognized Canadian-curriculum high school
- If student is intending to study in Québec: Evidence of a valid Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ)
- A copy of student’s most recent secondary or post-secondary degree, diploma or certificate, and most recent transcripts.
- Evidence of the purchase of a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating financial institution in the amount of CAN$10,000 (At present, Scotiabank, ICICI Bank Canada, SBI Canada Bank and CIBC are the participating Canadian financial institutions. Please visit their websites to learn more about their GIC services).
- If applicable, scholarships/other funding: Original letter containing details of the funding student is to receive during each year of proposed course of study.
- Copy of receipts showing payment of tuition fees for the entire first year.
- A copy of the Medical Examination Form given to student by the Panel Physician. Find a panel physician in your territory (Medical results Validity is for one year).